The Age of Sail – Lt Edmund Henry Seppings’ first cousins – Seppings side

Plymouth Dock seen from Mount Edgecomb, Devonshire, 1816, by J M W Turner (Tate Gallery)

Lt Edmund Henry Seppings had four aunts on the Seppings side – Lydia, Mary, Helen and Elizabeth, and one uncle, Sir Robert Seppings. His aunts married into the Laws, Gill, Pleasance, and Cornish families. His cousins in this post are Edward, Robert and John Laws, Robert Gill, John Milligen Seppings and the husband of cousin Martha Milligen Seppings – Major James Hull Harrison. Other female cousins were Mary Milligen Seppings who married Dr Robert Armstrong, an Inspector of Hospitals; Louisa Seppings married Edward Lock, a banker, of Oxford, and later Rev William Du Satoy M.A.; and Helen Seppings married Daniel Godfrey, a solicitor of Abingdom, and later Capt George Cecil Thorne.

Cousins Edward, Robert and John Laws joined the Royal Navy, with Edward living in Kingston, Ontario, and Quebec, Canada, and Robert in Plymouth, both as Naval Storekeepers. John began his career serving under Capt Nicholas Lockyer (Edmund Henry Seppings’ uncle) in the British Channel, then to North America and the West Indies, and as far away as South America, the East Indies, Australia and New Zealand, eventually becoming a Rear Admiral.
For this generation of males in the Seppings family, British military presence was extending to the colonies in the antipodes, while ‘at home’, the advent of modern railroads meant the ability for more people to travel to find work in England, more transportation of food crops, raw materials and manufactured goods; more employment to build, run and maintain the railways; and the connecting of the manufacturing districts and the sea ports. Cousin Robert Gill, a railway engineer and pioneer, together with his friend and colleague George Stephenson, built the Manchester and Liverpool railway line, the first to set the style for railway networks around the world. Cousin Capt John Laws RN, like Robert Gill, took up directorships and managerial positions of several railways networks.
Major James Hull Harrison, while related through marriage, not blood, was a high-ranking navy officer in the Seppings family, serving on board HMS Victory as a lieutenant 1808-12, and completing his career in the Royal Marines. John Milligen Seppings, Sir Robert Seppings eldest son, spent his working life in India as an Inspector of Shipping in Bengal, Surveyor H C Marine, Civil Service HEICS, and Superintendent of the Dockland, Calcutta.

Lydia Seppings (1762-), the first (surviving) child of Robert and Lydia Seppings, was sent in 1780 with her youngest brother John Milligen Seppings (Edmund Henry Seppings’ father) to live with their uncle, Capt John Milligen, in Plymouth. Lydia’s first marriage was to William Sampson of Rudham, near Fakenham where she was born. They had one daughter, Ann. In 1790 Lydia married Green Laws Esq, of Waltington, in Foulsham, Norfolk, and had six children: three daughters – Elizabeth (1794-1878), Mary (1798-) and Pleasance, and three (surviving) sons – Edward (1791-1854), Robert (1798-1889) and John (1799-1859), joined the Royal Navy.

Mary Seppings (1763-1799) married Samuel Garrett in 1782 and had one son. A second marriage, to William Brooke Gill (1765-1839), produced four sons – John (d. 1864), William, Robert (1796-1871) and Thomas (d. 1870).

Helen Seppings (1765-) married MD John Pleasance (1759-1793) in 1786 and had two daughters – Susan Elizabeth (d.1874), and Mary. Susan married a tea merchant of London, Joseph Dockerill and had six children. Mary married the schoolmaster at Kings Lynn, William Beloe, and had three children. Their eldest son, Robert Seppings Beloe (1822-1896), became a rector, and his son, Robert Douglas Beloe (1868-) and grandson John Douglas Beloe (1907-1978) followed as reverends. Their second son, Henry Beloe, an artist and photographer, also had a grandson who was ordained, Rev John Seppings Beloe.

Sir Robert Seppings (1767-1840) married Charlotte Milligen (1770-1834), his first cousin, in 1795. They had four sons, but two died in infancy. John Milligen Seppings (1798-1863) survived, as did Andrew Sanders Seppings (1806-1849), but he died an invalid, unmarried. Of their six daughters, Martha Milligen Seppings (1796-1840),  Mary Milligen Seppings (1799-), Louisa Seppings (1810-1891) and Helen Seppings (1812-) survived.

Elizabeth Seppings (b. 1774) married Robinson Cornish in 1798 and had two sons, Thomas and William.

Lydia Seppings (1762-) m Green Laws (1768-)

  • Edward Laws (1791-1854) Royal Navy Storekeeper
  • Elizabeth Laws (1794-1878)
  • Mary Laws (1798-)
  • Robert Laws (1798-1889) Royal Navy Office Clerk (Storekeeper)
  • Rear Admiral John Milligen Laws (1799-1859) Royal Navy
  • Pleasance Laws

Naval Dockyard, Point Frederick, Kingston, Ontario. Commodore’s house on right. 1815.

Edward Laws (1791-1854), born in Foulsham, Norlfolk, was the Naval Storekeeper at Kingston, Ontario, and Quebec, Canada from 1813-21. Being the Storekeeper, Edward was in charge of receiving, maintaining and issuing supplies in storage and was responsible for all money-related items, not only for the stores, but also salaries and wages, contracts in the dockyard, advertising procurement tenders for a variety of materials, services, and construction of buildings at Point Frederick, Kingston.
Edward Laws was storekeeper at the Kingston Royal Navy Dockyard during and after the War of 1812. A stone building, built circa 1813 and used as a hospital, is now known as the ordnance storekeeper’s quarters. In 1815, Edward was instructed by Commodore Owen to extend the hospital and refit any usable huts and remove those not needed. The skilled workers contracted for the job were required to build their own shelters from ‘offal wood of the Yard’, on the peninsula, after their working hours. Edward described the shanties in his 1820 storekeeper’s survey, as ‘in a most wretched condition’, unsafe and unhealthy due to their close proximity to the swamp. (1)
After the Rush-Bagot Treaty of 1817, the many British naval forts on the lakes along the international boundary, were largely demilitarized. The Kingston Dockyard remained open, but there was no new warship construction.
In 1819, Edward Laws was listed by the Admiralty as a Commissioner of the Navy and Naval Storekeeper in Quebec. The modern citadel was built from 1820 to defend the port and secure Quebec City against a potential American attack.

Old Naval Storehouse, Admiralty Way, Pembroke Dock (2015).

On 8 June 1821, Edward Laws became Naval Storekeeper at Pembroke Dockyard in South West Wales.
There was a marriage settlement between Edward Laws and Elizabeth Griffiths of Rochdale, Lancashire, in 1848.
in 1858, he received notification by the Military Secretary that he had passed a satisfactory examination at Burlington House, London.

Robert Laws (1798-1889) was a Navy Office Clerk (Storekeeper) at Plymouth Dockyard, also at Royal Dockyard, Sheerness, at the mouth of the River Medway in Kent, and he was appointed Captain of the Devonport Brigade of the Royal Dockyard Corps in 1848.

British fleet in harbour of Port Cornwallis, Island of Great Andaman, with HMS Sophie on right.

Rear Admiral John Milligen Laws (1799-1859), born in Watlington, Norfolk, entered the Royal Navy on 19 December 1809 as a ten-year-old First-class Volunteer on board HMS Sophie 18 and served under Capt Nicholas Lockyer (Edmund Henry Seppings’ uncle) for nearly two years in the Channel.
In October 1812, John Milligen Laws became midshipman on HMS Ramillies, a 74-gun third-rate ship of the line serving under Capt Sir Thomas Masterman Hardy and sailed to North America at the outbreak of the War of 1812. Hardy had served as flag captain to Admiral Lord Nelson, and commanded HMS Victory at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Nelson was pacing the decks with Hardy when he was fatally shot, and as he lay dying, Nelson’s famous remark of ‘Kiss me, Hardy’ was directed at the flag captain.
Hardy led the fleet in Ramillies that escorted and transported the army which captured significant portions of eastern coastal Maine. On 4 December they recaptured the whale Policy from the US Navy and took it to Halifax, Nova Scotia. During 1813 they captured many American brigs, schooners, sloops and ships for prize money. On 9 August 1814 they demanded Stonington, Connecticut, surrender, and for three days they bombarded the town, using Chinese stinkpots as weaponry, but were defeated and sailed off on 12 August after losing many on board. On 12 September they attempted a battle at North Point, Maryland, and suffered two fatalities. In August 1815, Ramillies was under the command of Captain Charles Ogle in the Channel squadron participating in many prize captures.
After serving briefly on HMS Iphigenia 36 at Chatham in October 1815, John joined HMS Antelope 50, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral John Harvey in the West Indies. In 1818, he returned to England as Acting-Lieutenant of HMS Scamander 36 and he was made a lieutenant on 11 November.
From 14 October 1819, John accompanied Capt William Furlong Wise on the frigate HMS Spartan 46 to the West Indies and South America, and in 1821 served on board HMS Pyramus 42, Valorous 26, and Aurora 46. In 1823, he joined Admiral Sir Harry Neale off Algiers on the Falmouth mortar-vessel sloop and, on HMS Wellesley 74, under Capt Graham Eden Hamond, accompanied Lord Stuart de Rothesay on a mission to Portugal and Brazil to negotiate a commercial treaty with Pedro I. The artist Charles Landseer travelled with them.

HMS Satellite in heavy gale, 1838.

John Milligen Laws attained the rank of Commander on 1 July 1825 and on 22 November 1826 was employed on HMS Satellite an 18-gun sloop designed by his uncle Sir Robert Seppings, for experimental duties in the Channel, and then on to the East Indies, Australia, New Zealand, and back to Bay of Bengal. In the Naval Biographical Dictionary, Vol 1, 1849, Capt Laws is said to have ‘afforded relief to some settlers in New Holland who had been hemmed in by the natives, and discharging for fourteen months the duties of Senior officer at Sydney. He also effected the capture of a band of convicts who had turned pirates, and, besides making a survey of the Friendly and Society Islands and New Zealand (in 1829), demonstrated the necessity of frequent visits to those parts.’
In January 1831, after he had extensively examined the east coast of the Bay of Bengal, Capt Laws commanded HMS Cruizer 18, and went to Pondicherry for the purpose of acknowledging the government of Louis Philippe who had become the last King of France.
On 17 April, Capt Laws became Commander (acting Captain) of HMS Southampton 52, bearing the flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Edward W. C. R. Owen, of the East India station, with whom he returned to England on 12 October 1832. He then joined the fleet under the command Sir Pulteney Malcolm on the coast of Holland during the Dutch Blockade and Seige of Antwerp which ended on 23 December. Malcolm’s fleet included HMS Stag 46, under Captain Nicholas Lockyer’s command.
On 7 January 1833, Capt Laws was confirmed as Captain of HMS Royal William and the Naval Biographical Dictionary, Vol 1, 1849, writes that he ‘has not been since employed.’ He was the Senior Officer of his rank on the List of 1833.


Two of John Milligen Laws’ homes – Darley Hall, Greater Manchester, set in grounds of 300 acres, and No 4 Rock Terrace, Tenby, Pembrokeshire.

At the age of 37, John married Mary Mathias, the only daughter of Charles Mathias, Esq, of Lamphey Court, Pembrokeshire, at St.Mary’s church, Lamphey, on 20 June 1836. They had three sons – Edward (1837-1913) born in Wales, John Milligen Laws (1842-1928) born at Crumpsall Hall, and Mathias Robert Seppings Laws (1847/8). Mary Laws was born in Wales on 5 March 1840 but died four days later. Another daughter was born in 1844, in Shepherds Bush, and died in Wales, at Tenby Norton Cottage on 6 Jun 1882, age 38. Edward joined the 35th Foot Royal Sussex Regiment, commissioned on 13 July 1858. He was a notable public figure in Pembrokeshire for half a century, as a member of the town Council (1897) and mayor of the borough (1900), a Justice of the Peace, and chairman of the Tenby bench. In 1899 he was high sheriff and was the Secretary of Tenby Museum. He devoted his time to the study of the history and archaeology of Pembrokeshire and wrote several books, including the county history, Little England beyond Wales, (1880) and produced an ‘Archaeological Survey of Pembrokeshire,’ 1908. His son, Edward Lucien Laws (1876-1916), died as an army officer in Mombassa, East Africa. John Milligen Laws (1842-1928) became a ‘lunatic’ in the 1880s and was cared for at St Holloway Sanatorium, Ann’s Heath, Peckham. Mathias Robert Seppings Laws was in the 62nd Foot Regiment and became a lieutenant on 26 February 1869.
In 1839, Captain Laws began a new career with the Railways. Most likely due to his connection with his cousin Robert Gill’s work (see below), he held the position of General Superintendent and Director of the Manchester & Leeds Railway Company (1839-46), and railways in Lincolnshire, and was appointed Managing Director of the London & York Company (1846-53). He also served on the Provisional Committee of the Welsh Midland Railway, and was involved with the Sheffield and Gainsborough Line.
John Milligen Laws and his wife Mary lived in several remarkable buildings. Records show them living at Crumpsall Hall, Lancashire, 1842-1846. 20 Sussex Square, Hyde Park, Middlesex, was another address, as was the early-19th-century Darley Hall, Greater Manchester, near Bolton-le-Moors, set within extensive grounds of about 300 acres with a kitchen garden. Also, the large Grade II Georgian listed building No 4 Rock Terrace in Tenby, Pembrokeshire, set back from the street with rear facade overlooking Iron Bar Sands and sea views. They owned and leased additional properties including the farms of Holloway and Frankleston; Gloyne Estate, Lampeter Velfrey, and land in Penally, Tenby and Crinow – on which the Pembroke and Tenby Railway was to be constructed.
John Milligen Laws was ranked Rear Admiral on 21 July 1856 and received a coat-of-arms & seal. He died at Marchfield House in Binfield, Berkshire, on 3 March 1859, age 60. Mary died in Oswald House, the Esplanade, Tenby, in 1889.

Mary Seppings (1763-1799) m William Brooke Gill (1765-1839)

  • John Gill (1793-1864)
  • William Gill (1794-1853)
  • Robert Gill (1796-1871) Engineer, Railway pioneer, property speculator, a Director of the Crystal Palace.
  • Thomas Gill (1797-1870)

Robert Gill, aged approximately 35.

Robert Gill (1796-1871) resided with his uncle Sir Robert Seppings and family at Somerset House, London, after his mother died at the age of 35 in 1799. He was known as Sir Robert’s favourite nephew and became his close confidante. Robert completed his studies as an engineer while living there and together with his friend and colleague George Stephenson built the Manchester and Liverpool railway line, the world’s first modern railroad with inter-city freight and passenger trains, ‘scheduled’ services and terminal stations, opening in 1830. He dug the first turf for the Manchester and Leeds line in 1837 which opened in 1842. Robert became General Manager of the Manchester & Leeds Railway Company, Leeds and West Riding, and Newot and Sheffield Railways, and of the Wakefield, Lincoln and Bolton Railways Companys. An ‘enthusiastic supporter of innovation and modernity’, he spent time on site and in parliament. (2)
In 1842, Robert developed the Palatine Hotel and Buildings in anticipation of the demand for hotel accommodation that would follow the projected extension of the Manchester and Leeds Railway line from Collyhurst to Hunt’s Bank.
Robert Gill’s first wife, Frederice Entwistle of the banking family of Rusholme Hall, Norfolk, whom he married at Didsbury, Manchester in 1838, died in 1843. On 29 December 1846, Robert Gill, Esq, married Fanny Susannah Need (1820-1911) at Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire. She was the second daughter of the late Colonel Thomas Need of Sherwood Hall who made his wealth from timber milling in Canada and founded the town of Bobcaygeon, Ontario. They had four daughters: Frederica Fanny (1848-1924), Mary (1850-1930), Madeline Lucy (1853-70), Eleanor Maud (1856-1930), and one son, Rev Robert John Seppings Gill (1859-1948).
According to the 1851 census, Robert was chairman of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, a title adopted by the Manchester & Leeds Railway in 1847, the largest railway company in England. He was living with his wife, Fanny, and their two children and seven servants, Fanny’s widowed mother Mary, and her brother Walter Need, a commander in the Royal Navy, at the Manor House at Mansfield Woodhouse. The Need family had occupied the Manor House for most of the 19th century. A Grade II listed building ‘of sprawling proportions and stands in lawned gardens on Priory Road,’ the Manor House was considered one of the largest and grandest houses in Mansfield Woodhouse.

The Crystal Palace at Sydenham

Robert was a smart businessman, amassing a great deal of money, and as one of a consortium of eight businessmen bought the Crystal Palace after the closure of the Great Exhibition in 1851. He was involved in its re-erection at Sydenham, which cost £1,300,000 (£133 million in 2019), and continued to be one of its directors for several years.

Manor House at Mansfield Woodhouse.  Apps Court, Elmbridge.

In 1855, the Gill Family moved into their new home, Apps Court, in Walton-on-Thames, Elmbridge, Surrey, a distinctly palatial, centuries-old mansion dating back to pre-Norman Conquest. Situated within 150 acres of grassy parkland, the house was rebuilt in 1824 and described at the time as ‘white brick with a noble stone portico supported on Ionic columns’. (3)
Robert died in 1871 at Apps Court, and in 1898, his widow, Fanny, sold the house and land to the Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company, which demolished it and transformed the park into the two reservoirs.


Sir Robert Seppings (1767-1840) m Charlotte Milligen (1770-1834).

  • Martha Milligen Seppings (1796-1840) married Major James Hull Harrison (1783-1853) of the Royal Marines. They had 11 children including John Seppings Harrison (Solicitor); Robert Seppings Harrison (1821-1872), a Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Marines; Henry Laws Harrison (1833-1863) a Lieutenant in the Royal Marines; and Horace Sibbald Harrison (1837-1922), an Army Captain.
  • John Milligen Seppings (1798-1863) Royal Navy married Marianne Matthews (1796-1853) in Bengal. Their three children were Capt Edward James Seppings (1826-1857) who died at Cawnpore, Charlotte Marianne Seppings (1828-), and Robert Seymour Seppings (-1881) an unmarried invalid, ending Sir Robert Seppings’ male line.
  • Mary Milligen Seppings (1799-) married Dr Robert Armstrong, a Naval Surgeon in Plymouth (1829) and London (1832), an author (1843), and Inspector of Hospitals and Fleets (1847).
  • Andrew Sanders Seppings (1806-1849) invalid.
  • Louisa Seppings  (1810-1891) married Edward Lock, banker, of Oxford (son of Sir William Lock of Oxford). They had two children – Helen Seppings Frances Lock (1836-1890) and Edward Seppings Lock (1837-1886), Colonel in the 82nd Regiment – Foot. Edward served in India’s North West Provinces to suppress the Mutiny of 1858 and was awarded a medal. Helen married Rev William Reyner Cosens, DD and had six sons and two daughters.
    Louisa married a second time to Rev William Du Sautoy M.A. (1805-1886) and they had a son, James Du Sautoy (1762-1858), an army captain and barrack master. The Du Sautoys are still a distinguished family in England and include Peter Du Sautoy of Faber & Faber publishers.
  • Helen Seppings (1812-) m Daniel Godfrey a solicitor of Abingdon. They had four daughters. Helen was married a second time to Capt George Cecil Thorne.

HMS Victory

Major James Hull Harrison (1783-1853) was born in Bombay, India. He served on board HMS Victory in the Baltic as a lieutenant 1808-12. He completed his career as a Major in the Royal Marines. When an investigation ensued, in India, he was a deputy-judge advocate. (4)
Major James Hull Harrison married Martha Milligen Seppings (1796-1840) in 1817. They had 11 children, the first, John Seppings Harrison, became a solicitor, the second, Robert Seppings Harrison (1821-1872), was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Marines, the 7th was Lt Henry Laws Harrison (1833-1863), also in the Royal Marines, and the 9th was Horace Sibbald Harrison (1837-1922) an army captain.
Major James Hull Harrison died in Plymouth, Devon.

Kidderpore Docks, Calcutta 1892

John Milligen Seppings Esq (1798-1863), Sir Robert Seppings’ eldest son, was born in Plymouth, Devon. He was an Inspector of Shipping, Bengal, Surveyor H C Marine, Civil Service HEICS, and Superintendent of the Dockland, Calcutta. He was an Inspector of Shipping under the East India Company at Calcutta for twenty years. He is listed in the UK Registers of Employees of the East India Company and the India Office as a ‘European Inhabitant’ in India in 1817 and a Marine Board Member of the Bengal Marine Establishment in 1823, as ‘First Surveyor’ Royal Navy.
Two of the first nine paddle-steamers employed in India, PS Irrawaddy (1826-37) and PS Ganges (1826-38) were built by James Kyd & Co, of teak with frames of saul and sissoo wood, at their yard at Kidderpore (Khidirpur), Calcutta. The work was done under the superintendence of J M Seppings, the East India Company’s Surveyor of Shipping in 1826. The drawings of the vessels were originally prepared by his father, Sir Robert Seppings, however it was found necessary to alter them for the climate, and the plans used for construction were designed by J M Seppings. The vessels were launched in early 1827 and used as Bengal government packets and communication boats, mostly in connection with the Tenasserim coast, or as tugs on the Hoogly River. The Ganges was sent to Bombay.

East India Company’s Steamer Irrawaddy and Ganges, and Hoogly plans. Signed by Mr J M Seppings 1830.

In 1828, PS Hoohly was built according to Mr J M Seppings’ plan, ‘with straight timbers in mid-ships, entirely of teak, at the yard of the Howrah Dock Company; cost for hull and fittings, without machinery, 64,600 Sicca Rupees; she is fastened upon Sir Robert Seppings’ new principle; copper bolted to the upper edge of the wales; and has proved herself a most efficient vessel, as regards strength and velocity.’ (5)
PS Forbes was another Steamer built by the new Howrah Dock Company and overseen by J M Seppings, named after Captain Forbes who helped to introduce steam ships into India. The engines were built in Britain by Boulton and Watt.
John Milligen Seppings married Marianne Matthews (1796-1853) in 1821, in Bengal. They had three children – Capt Edward James Seppings (1826-1857) who died at Cawnpore, Charlotte Marianne Seppings (1828-), and Robert Seymour Seppings (-1881) an unmarried invalid, ending Sir Robert Seppings’ male line.

Greenfield, home of John Milligen Seppings – 35 Thurlow Rd, Torquay, England.

When John Milligen Seppings died in 1863 he was living at Greenfield, in Tor Mohun (before the name changed to Torquay), now divided into three flats.

Part 4 of ‘The Age of Sail’ looks at Lt Edmund Henry Seppings’ first cousins on the Lockyer side.

Illustration Credits 

Plymouth Dock seen from Mount Edgecomb, Devonshire, 1816, by Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851). Purchased by Tate Gallery 1986.
Watercolor Depicts Naval Dockyard, Point Frederick, Kingston, Ontario. To the right is the commodore’s house. Two ships are under construction: the Canada and the Wolfe. (Original: Royal Military College of Canada, Kingston.) July 1815
Pembroke Dockyard Storehouse – Old Naval Storehouse, Admiralty Way, Pembroke Dock. Designed by Edward Poll and completed in 1822.
British fleet in harbour of Port Cornwallis, Island of Great Andaman, with HMS Sophie on right, by Lieutenant Joseph Moore – National Maritime Museum plate1-2/
HMS Satellite in heavy gale, 1838. Drawn by Chetwynd Plowden Wood. Engraved by Hollway.,_Feby_28th_1838._Lat_29._Long_64._Drawn_by_Chetwynd_Plowden_Wood,_Midshipman_on_board,_2nd_son_of_General._I._S._Wood_RMG_PU6136.tiff
POSTCARD – DARLEY Old Hall, Farnworth, Bolton, Lancashire
Robert Gill, painting by William Bradley. Elmbridge Museum
Crystal Palace, Sydenham – The Crystal Palace General view from Water Temple 1854
by Philip Henry Delamotte (1821–1889), Smithsonian Libraries
Manor House at Mansfield Woodhouse.
The Manor House
Apps Court, Elmbridge.
HMS Victory by Geoff unt;
Kidderpore Docks, Calcutta 1892
East India Company’s Steamer Irrawaddy and Ganges, and Hoogly plans. Signed by Mr J M Seppings 1830. National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London
The Honble East India Compys Steamers Irrawaddy and Ganges built at Messrs Kyds & Co Dock-yard (Kidderpore near Calcutta.) (Plan, 1830) (PAD6671)
Tassin, Jean Baptiste Athanase Government Litho Press lithograph
The Honble East India Company’s Steamer Hoogly built (opposite Calcutta) by the New Howrah Dock Company. (Plan, 1830)
Tassin, Jean Baptiste Athanase Government Litho Press Calcutta, Hoogly (1828)
Greenfield, home of John Milligen Seppings – 35 Thurlow Rd, Torquay, England.,+Torquay+TQ1+3EQ,+UK/

Research Resources

(1) Laws, Edward 1820 Survey of His Majesty’s Buildings at the Naval Establishment at Kingston. Microfilm, LAC MG 12, ADM 106 vol. 1999, Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa.
(4) The History of the Indian Revolt and of the Expeditions to PersiaChina, and Japan, 1856-7-8. Front Cover. George Dodd. W. and R. Chambers, 1859
(5) A Collection of Papers: Relative to Ship Building in India: with Descriptions of the Various Indian Woods Employed Therein, their Qualities, Uses, and Value; also, a Register, Comprehending all the Ships and Vessels built in India to the present time; with Many Other Particulars Respecting Indian Shipping, and the External Commerce of Bengal by John Phipps, published by Scott and Co (1840)
Our Family History Faith Packard (1989)

Edward Laws (1791-)
Laws, Edward 1820 Survey of His Majesty’s Buildings at the Naval Establishment at Kingston. Microfilm, LAC MG 12, ADM 106 vol. 1999, Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa.
(Nation 1992)
(Brock 1968: 10; Mecredy 1982: 53)
Naval Biographical Dictionary, Vol 1, 1849 (Google Books)
The Royal kalendar and court and city register for England, Scotland
The Navy List By Great Britain. Admiralty (Google Books)
E Laws (report mentioned –

Rear Admiral John Milligen Laws (1799-1859)
A Naval Biographical Dictionary – Volume 1, p151 By William R. O’Byrne (Google Books)
A Naval Biographical Dictionary: Comprising the Life and Services of every living officer in Her Majesty’s navy, from the rank of admiral of the fleet to that of lieutenant, inclusive. Compiled from authentic and family documents. Volume 1. By William R. O’Byrne 1849 (Google Books)
NAVY LIST, The 20th JUNE, 1850.
Alphabetical List of the Officers of the Royal Nayy and Royal Marines, with the Dates of their Seniority (Google Books),_John_Milligen
A Naval Biographical Dictionary: Comprising the Life and Services of every living officer in Her Majesty’s navy, from the rank of admiral of the fleet to that of lieutenant, inclusive. Compiled from authentic and family documents. Volume 1. By William R. O’Byrne 1849 (Google Books)
British Warships in the Age of Sail 1817-1863DesignConstructionCareers & Fates
By Rif Winfield (Google Books)
Allan Russell – The Sun 13 September 1845, The Leeds Intelligencer 9 April 1845, and –
Manchester Guardian, 30 August 1845; The Builder, 17 January 1846; Herapath, 1 August 1846; Herapath, 17 February 1849; Manchester Examiner, 2 April 1853; Manchester Examiner, 6 April 1853; Railway Times, 9 April 1853; Railway Times, 9 April 1853; Herapath, 30 April 1853; Manchester Examiner, Railway Times & Herapath, 10 September 1853 –

Robert Gill (1796-1871)
The Manor House apps-court

Major James Hull Harrison (1783-1853),_Harry_Burrard_(DNB00)
Dictionary of Battles and Sieges by Tony Jaques (Google Books)
The Navy List, Great Britain. Admirality (Google Books)
Historical Record of the Royal Marine Forces, Vol 1, Paul Harris Nicholas (Google Books)
P 159 The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register for British and Foreign India, China and Australasia, Volume 1
Royal Kalender, and Court and City Register, for England, Scotland, Ireland and the Colonies. 1842
P 199 Promotions, Preferments in The Gentleman’s Magazine, Volume 7 1837, Royal Marines

John Milligen Seppings Esq (1798-1863)
The India Office and Burma Office List 1823 (Google Books)
UK Registers of Employees of the East India Company and the India Office–61-
Plymouth Dockyard (1690) Pre-eminent, alongside Portsmouth, during the wars with France (1793 onwards). Known as Devonport since 1843.
The Steamers employed in Asian Waters, 1819-39 by A. Gibson-Hill
Journal of the Malayan Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society
Vol. 27, No. 1 (165) (May, 1954), pp. 120-162
The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register for British India and Its Dependencies, Volume 24, Black, Parbury, & Allen, 1827


About Katherine Seppings

Artist, Writer, Photographer
This entry was posted in Seppings and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to The Age of Sail – Lt Edmund Henry Seppings’ first cousins – Seppings side

  1. P Richards says:

    Thank you ..

    Indirectly the descendants of Lockyer – Seppings etc have some incredible relatives.

    The brave men of yesteryear have all but gone!

    Most if not all of us reside in suburbia & can only admire these men, their exploits & courage.


    Pam 🦋


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s